Thames Valley Fly Dressers





Fishing Report October 11 2014

We all met in the farm yard at 8.30 having travelled down in heavy rain. Paid our dues and headed for the river.The track down to the  river had deteriorated somewhat, it was quite muddy.We wondered if we would have difficulty extracting our vehicles at the end of the day.Hey ho we had a full days fishing ahead worry about it later.

When we reached the fishing hut we could see through the trees that considerable groundwork was being carried out by heavy machinery. The machinery  having damaged the track down to the river.

Fishing commenced at 9.00.The rain had stopped and the sun about to shine. The weather throughout the day was very pleasant for the time of year. It was surprising warm.One was quite comfortable in shirt sleeves and fishing vest. We experienced 3 minor rain showers.

The river was clear and on the low side with quite a bit of weed. Both Grayling and trout were in abundance. Both beats proved to be productive. Nymph fishing was the order of the day as the Grayling were rooted to the gravel runs as were the trout. Hatches were evident prior to and after lunch. Some fish were caught on the dry.

A convivial lunch was taken at 12.30 and we fished until 17.00. A total of a 100 fish were caught and all returned to their watery environment. The end of a perfect day!

But hey ho we had to negotiate the track to the B road. It was decided that  Richard with his large new van, soon to be  converted into a luxury fishing cabin on wheels, would go first. Followed by the car followed by the two 4x4's.

The van set off on the first 300 yds without difficulty but came to muddy halt at the first bend.The 3 vehicles following came to a halt. The option was for us  all to push backwards and forwards until the van was eventually extracted. Off Richard shot like a cork out of a bottle. Not wishing to slow down he passed the right turn to the B road carried straight on through the field  to the farm yard .It was locked!

Turning the van round  at the farm he re crossed  the field  guided by Mr. Ellis & Mr. Alcock and eventually gained the safety of the road.       The other vehicles proceeded to the safety of the road without any further problems.

Luckily all was well apart from one muddy van and a pair of trainers  which at the start of the day were pristine white and at the end of the day, looking like they had spent their short life trudging  the Brecon Beacons.

For the next trip in November it may be advisable to survey the track to the river before attempting to access the river by vehicles.

PHOTO’S 11 oct 2014 photo